Please support my art, writing, and imperial pursuits with a contribution!
Tuesday, June 22, 2004
Additional online correspondent "meh" has set the record straight! Here's his report:
As a born and bred Vancouverite, I feel qualified to settle this. These are all names used by some people for Vancouver. I'll write little comments about each one:
- the 'couve: only losers from the suburbs would actually call vancouver "the 'couve" without trying to get a laugh.
- vancity: if you are white and you want to try and be a hip hopper, you call vancouver "vancity."
- the lower mainland: everyone here knows what you mean. an old name that still works.
- van: you use this if you are too lazy to use anything more than monosyllabic words.
- the six oh fo': vancouver has 2 area codes -- 604 and the newer 778. if you are cool, you refer to vancouver as "the six oh fo.'" ok, i admit... i made this one up, but have been using it for a year or so.
- terminal city: 70s punky name for the city (although it has much older historical roots).
I guess I have to add, in all fairness, that Trish DID clarify that only suburbans with mullets would call Vancouver "the 'couve" ... she also pointed out that vancity is the name of a bank, which is probably why white people would use it. You can look below to see her comments about my slandering her. Oh well, buy some Arsenal Pulp books and make her feel better for being subjected to such crazy Pasconian treatment.
© Jim Pascoe. All Rights Reserved.